Thursday, January 30, 2014

Virginia Biscuits

I haven't posted in a really long time due to the fact I couldn't figure out how to access my photos after an upgrade last year!  I think I have it at this point, so here we go again!
I've been making these biscuits for years, the original recipe came from a friend of mine when we were living in Charlotte, NC.  They are wonderfully light and flaky, perfect for butter, jam or a slice of ham!  Definitely worth the splurge on calories.

Virginia Biscuits
3 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter (this is for brushing on the dough, doesn't go in the mix)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees, either grease your sheet pan, or bake on parchment paper or a stone.
Sift dry ingredients into a bowl, cut in shortening until evenly distributed.  Using a fork, stir enough milk into mix to make a soft but not sticky dough.  Knead on lightly floured surface until dough is smooth & elastic.  Roll out 1/4 inch thick, brush melted butter on half the dough then fold dough over so that biscuits will open easily when baked.  Cut with small biscuit cutter & place on pan.  Bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes.  Serve with additional butter, jam or a slice of ham.  I use my smallest biscuit cutter as these biscuits are rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment